New Jersey residents like yourself likely pass by many dogs every day. However, a single dog attack can result in numerous or severe injuries. It can even lead to shock, a condition that may be lethal. Knowing how to recognize the signs of shock can be a literal life saver.
Mayo Clinic states that symptoms of shock can cover quite a wide range. Shock can be the result of many different injuries or ailments, ranging from blood loss to burns to poisoning and more. It’s the body’s response to any traumatic event, and a dog attack that’s severe enough can easily fit the bill.
The body exhibits the following signs in the event of going into shock:
- Rapid breathing or pulse
- Vomiting or nausea
- Pale, ashen, cool or clammy skin
- Dizziness and fainting
- Weakness and fatigue
- Enlarged pupils
Additionally, it’s possible for you to suffer from sudden changes in behavior or mental state when shock begins to set in. This can include feelings of agitation or anxiety, as well as overtly aggressive behavior.
It might be difficult to tell that the body is going into shock because some of these symptoms are shared with unrelated issues like anxiety attacks. However, it’s always better to err on the side of caution when these signs begin to surface. When the body goes into shock, your organs aren’t getting the oxygen or blood needed to survive. This is why first aid is so critical, as organ damage or death can occur if the state of shock lasts too long.