Helping Injured People Throughout New Jersey
Back To Bottom

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur anywhere in New Jersey where the burning of fuels takes place. It can take place in homes or businesses, as well as on construction sites. Because carbon monoxide has no odor, taste or color, it can be difficult to detect, and poisoning can occur before you realize it.

Because the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning can be life-threatening or cause permanent disability, it is important to recognize the symptoms in yourself and other people. According to the Mayo Clinic, these symptoms include the following: 

  • Blurred vision
  • Confusion 
  • Dizziness
  • Dull headache
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Shortness of breath

In cases of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, you should summon emergency medical services after finding fresh air. However, the confusion that carbon monoxide can cause may make it difficult to take the necessary action. In addition, you may become poisoned while sleeping and therefore unable to recognize the symptoms. For these reasons, it is important to equip your home with carbon monoxide detectors that can alert you immediately to a problem. 

Carbon monoxide prevents oxygen from reaching your body tissues by bonding to your red blood cells. Poisoning from carbon monoxide can be life-threatening or cause irreversible brain damage. In addition, it can cause the death of an unborn baby, contribute to the development of serious cardiac complications or exacerbate existing heart problems. Those most susceptible include elderly adults, children and people with chronic breathing problems.

The information in this article is not intended as legal advice but provided for educational purposes only.

Archives

FindLaw Network